Friday, June 17, 2011

Vegetarian Spaghetti



Spaghetti and noodles are my favorite dinner meals. However they are high in starch, hence especially if you’re taking it as dinner it has to be consumed in moderation. I picked up this spaghetti sauce idea from Jamie Oliver; however I did not want to serve them only with sauce. Because I was only going to use around 100g -150g of spaghetti for 2, so I had to make it filling by adding more vegetables and legumes. I added other Italian ingredients like olives, 3 colored peppers, zucchini and kidney beans. Just as I’m writing this post I got an idea; next time I should add some spinach or basil leaves. Try it out…. I’m sure you guyz will like it.



Print Recipe here
Serves 2-3
Ingredients

100g-150g Spaghetti
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium size red onion, thinly sliced
¼ of each red, yellow, green peppers, thinly sliced
200g zucchini, halved, thinly sliced
Handful of yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
Handful of black olives, roughly chopped
100g boiled kidney beans (if using canned rinse beans before adding to pasta)
50g parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

To make sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili flakes
1 vegetable soup cube
200g canned tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp capers

Method

Boil water in a sauce pan, when water hits boiling point, add salt, spaghetti and cook for around 20 minutes till it’s soft. Drain water and set them aside.

Heat oil in a large non-stick pan, sauté onion for 2 minutes till it’s translucent. Add 3 color peppers, zucchini and sauté for 2 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes and turn off heat. Season with lots of ground pepper and set them aside.

In the same pan to make the sauce, heat oil and sauté garlic for a minute, add soup cube, chili flakes, diced tomatoes, tomato puree and capers. Stir well for 2 minutes, add spaghetti, and mix well with sauce.

Add sautéed vegetables, olives, kidney beans and stir well. Serve them in a plate and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese.

Note: You may also add button mushrooms (@step 2) and basil leaves / spinach (@step 4) to the above meal.

























Please cast your vote and support my blog to win "Top Foodie Expert Category" award. Click below icon, log in with your facebook user name and password to vote. Thank You.

7 comments:

  1. looks so healthy
    charishma
    http://cheriesstolenrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you add more vegetables and beans to fill in for the pasta, much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like such a bright, tasty summery dish, lovely pictures too! I will be blogging my attempt at your gorgeous Mee Goreng today and will link back to you, thanks for the inspiration!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pasta dish! I think I voted...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for voting. u can vote everyday :- D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a winner, very tasty. We look forward to trying other dishes from your site.
    Aileen from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Aileen, appreciate your feedback for my other recipes too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...